Being charged with a DUI can hold massive negative implications on both your personal and professional lives. If you are facing a DUI charge, it is crucial to understand both what your rights are and how to defend them. Our Kentucky criminal defense team outlines what you can do to defend yourself from a DUI below.
The Negative Impacts of a DUI Charge
There are several consequences of DUI charges that can negatively affect your personal and professional lives. In addition to fines and incarceration, there are numerous shockwaves of DUIs that can be felt in your future endeavors. These include:
- Your driver’s license being revoked or suspended
- Being denied employment for having a DUI on your record, or possibly even losing your current job.
- Drastically increased auto insurance rates.
- Impacts on personal and professional relationships. Even if you are not convicted for a DUI, it can affect the perception your family, friends, and coworkers have of you, and they become increasingly concerned with your personal life.
When You Are Stopped on the Road
The first step in defending your rights is knowing what to do when you are pulled over for a traffic stop. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- You are not required to answer any questions the officer asks of you. This includes questions of whether you were drinking, where you are coming from, or where you are going.
- Kentucky’s “implied consent” law outlines that drivers should take the test BAC (blood alcohol content) test if they are asked to, and refusing to could lead to the suspension of your license however in certain instances when you are charged with a first offense you may refuse the test without the refusal being considered an aggravator leading to more stringent penalties.
- You have the right to speak to legal counsel before making the decision to take the BAC test or not but reaching legal counsel at the time of the traffic arrest and/or arrest can be difficult. Each of our attorneys lists their cell phone numbers on our Facebook Page. Make a note of it as you may need to reach us outside office hours. Nonetheless, if you drink at all you should know your rights beforehand.
How Musselwhite Meinhart & Staples Can Help
The best way, without a doubt, of ensuring your rights and freedoms are upheld against a DUI charge is by enlisting the help of trusted legal guidance. Our qualified team is committed to providing personalized and compassionate services to ensure that your rights are fully protected and given the defense you deserve.
If you or a loved one has been arrested for a DUI, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us today through our website or give us a call at (270) 200-6326 to schedule your free consultation.